Saturday, November 20, 2010

# of worshipers spotted wearing Steelers garb while worshiping (running total)

Today I decided to keep a running total of the number of instances that I see Steelers clothing or whatnot worn by worshipers during services. I regret that I did not make a point to begin counting vigilantly at the start of this project... as I may have missed a few... but I'll be attentive here out and add to the tally as we go. (I've included the ones I remember leading up to today's date.)

Sept 19, 2010 The Church of the Holy Cross
Rev. Dr. Moni McIntyre herself appears during the church's coffee hour (immed after delivering her sermon) wearing a Steelers jersey.
I think this should count as 10, really.
Running Total: 1

Nov 14, 2010 Allegheny Center Alliance Church
I see 2 different worshipers each sporting Steelers jerseys during the service.
Running Total: 3

Nov 20, 2010 St. Aloysius Parish
1 worshiper passes my pew to take communion while
wearing a Steelers jacket.
On my drive home I saw 2 different people in 2 diff neighborhoods walking around outside wearing Steelers garb
... but I guess I can't count these.
Running Total: 4


Nov 21, 2010 Door of Hope
2 worshipers in
Steelers jerseys.
1 worshiper in a Steelers sweatshirt.
1 worshiper in a Steelers knit winter hat.
I really do wish that I had kept careful count from the beginning. Now that I'm paying attention, the count has doubled in just one visit. Need I say Steelers won this day... or so I heard.
Running Total: 8


Dec 5, 2010 East Liberty Presbyterian Church, traditional service
2 worshipers in
Steelers jerseys.
2 worshiper in Steelers sweatshirts.
1 worshiper in a black and gold striped sweater.
Today: 5 worshipers at East Liberty Presbyterian Church wearing Steelers garb.
Running Total for the project: 13 (to date)

Dec 5, 2010 Congregation Beth Shalom
Today, I returned to Beth Shalom to take my photographs, and the gentleman who was vacuuming there was wearing a Steelers sweatshirt. Alas, I can't prove he was worshiping (though I can't prove he wasn't either...) but I guess in the end I can't count him. Sigh.

Dec 18, 2010 Church of Saint Raphael
2 worshipers in
Steelers jackets.
Running Total for the project: 15 (to date)

Dec 19, 2010 South Avenue United Methodist Church
1 worshiper in a Steelers turtleneck, a Steelers jersey, a Steelers jacket and a Steelers cap. Does he really only count as one?
Running Total for the project: 16 (to date)

Feb 6, 2011 Stanton Heights United Methodist Church
8 worshipers in blackandyellowblackandyellowblackandyellow
2 worshipers carrying terrible towels
Running Total for the project: 26 (to date)

April 17, 2011 Immaculate Heart of Mary Church
1 worshiper wearing a Steelers jacket.
Running Total for the project: 27 (to date)

Sept 18, 2011 The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
1 worshiper in a black suite with a yellow shirt and black tie.
(I saw like 13 people while I was driving between visits today,
but I guess that can't count.)
Running Total for the project: 28 (to date)

Oct 2, 2011 Pittsburgh Sikh Gurdwara
1 in a Steeler jersey. Name across the back: GURU.
(Flavors of India and Steeler Country merrily co-exist.)
1 woman wearing a kameez (tunic), white with a pattern of Steeler logos

& along the edge of her duputa (scarf): more logos.
8 men cover their heads with black and yellow bandanas

(not turbans- these bandanas are worn by men who
do not have the
traditional long hair.)
3 children in bandanas, scarves, or black and yellow.

Running Total for the project: 41 (to date)

Oct 4, 2011 First Presbyterian Church of Pittsburgh
2 in jackets with Steeler logos

FINAL Total for this entire project: 43

No comments:

Post a Comment